It is far more than just a code of morality or conduct.
It is the right path and the Buddhist manual to self-enlightenment.
1) Right views or understanding according to the Four Noble Truths.
2) Right thought or thinking according to the Four Noble Truths.
3) Right speech according to the right view and thinking.
4) Right action or karma according to the right view and thinking.
5) Right means of livelihood according to the right dispositions.
6) Right effort or exertion without cessation of practice.
7) Right mindfulness, or all-attention without any delusion in seeking mind’s pure essence.
8) Right meditation or samadhi, or fully unified concentration.